About Us

The Foundations of First United Methodist Church

First United Methodist Church was founded in the belief that communities must learn to help themselves. Our work is founded on the following  pillars of faith:


  • A duty to reach out to the less fortunate
  • An obligation to lead by example
  • An all-inclusive approach: We help everyone regardless of their religious beliefs
  • Acceptance of the fact that we, too, may someday require assistance in our time of need

Our History


The early citizens, from which this church drew its membership, dwelt in the fork section of the Pee Dee and Rocky Rivers. Early settlers began having preaching services under a brush arbor. Similar to the one shown to the left. The first church building was built along about 1820. It was built of long logs with a chimney at one end and the pulpit at the other, with hand-made benches and other furniture.

 This is a picture of the  church building  built in 1834 . The community was called Center, until 1892 and it was changed to Norwood. This building was used until 1882, then moved back 100 feet to make room for a new building. This building was used as a school.

In 1882, this building was built by building contractor , Frank Ivey. The beautiful curved beam ceiling was the talk of the countryside. Builders and engineers came from far and near to see it. Yet in the beginning there developed considerable controversy in respect to the soundness of the idea of a curved beam ceiling.

In 1916, the church was remodeled and brick veneered.

Additions included:

The Hut in 1946

The Parsonage was built in 1951

 Educational Department in 1956

Contact Us

First United Methodist Church

208 Pee Dee Ave

Po Box 948

Norwood, NC 28128


Phone:  704-474-4160

Parsonage : 704-459-0280


 Email:  norwoodumcoffice@windstream.net


Calendar of Events




 February 10th

DISTRICT LAITY CELEBRATION & TRAINING ... Please mark your calendars to attend this District event on Sunday,     February 10, from 1:30 - 4:30, at the Pfeiffer Campus.  We will share in vibrant worship with Rev. Arnetta Beverly, will share in a   mission project for school children in need, and will attend classes designed to make the work of the church more safe, productive, and Christ-centered.  Everyone is invited!  Registration is required, so call our office for details.  Also, our bus has been reserved if enough wish to participate in this event.


Confirmation Classes

2019 CONFIRMATION CLASS ... FUMC-Norwood is blessed to have a number of Confirmation age youth (Sixth Grade and over), and we invite each of these to participate in our upcoming Confirmation Class.  We will begin with a meeting of interested young people and their parents on Sunday, January 27, during the Sunday School hour, in the Sims Parlor.  This year, Rev. Bill & Lisa will return to a more concise Confirmation curriculum.  We look forward to concluding Confirmation and welcoming these young people into full Church membership sometime this Spring.







 Food Drive

January's food is canned vegetables. Please bring donations and put in designated containers in the hallway.

February's food will be Canned or Dry Beans, Canned Tomatoes, & Rice






Prayer Group   meets Tuesday at 10:00am in the church parlor. We gather to remember the needs of our church, our families, our community, and our world, and to thank God for all our blessings. “True, whole prayer is nothing but love.”—St. Augustine






 United Methodist Women meet the 2nd Tuesday of each month. Faithful Circle at 1:30pm and Sisters With A Purpose Circle at 6:30pm


United Methodist Men meeting 4th Sunday of each at 7:30am Next meeting will be January 27,2019


Mission /Outreach

Baby Bottle Boomerang

Donations to the Pregnancy resource center.



Esther House (Local Domestic Violence Shelter) Needs: Canned food, paper products, toiletries, cleaning, &  laundry supplies.

Pregnancy Resource Center of Stanly County (PRC)  Needs: New born size diapers, baby wipes, & infant baby formula.




 Sunday School for all ages 10:00am

Worship Services: Sundays at 8:45am & 11:00am

Print Print | Sitemap
© First United Methodist Church